Monday, November 17, 2014

Journal #6: Reflection

I have found the first five weeks to be both challenging and interesting.  I came into the program this semester knowing that I would be immersed in CSS and HTML.  With no background in the languages this was the most intimidating aspect of signing up for the program.  I've found the subject rewarding so far since it is creative and technical.

The most challenging portion of the class has been the bulk of elements and selectors we have gone over in the book.  I am glad in that I feel it is exhaustive and doesn't leave out important details.  This can be daunting as well when I am reading and thinking, 'How will I ever remember some random IE workaround in practice?'  Overall I think when the class is done i will feel confident in at least understanding both languages and I can always go back and review particular behaviors when I want to use them.  I am trying not to stress on memorizing everything and just trying to remember where to look things up and using them and see how they behave.

The most enjoyable part of the course has been seeing text documents come to life with even simple CSS.  The following example was one of the first where I really saw an exercise look like a 'real' website: bistro menu.  I also liked having the background image fixed while the menu scrolls in this example. The most challenging assignment was gathering all of the book exercises and getting them up on the server.  The concept is not that difficult, but devising an organizational system was challenging.  I might work on different computer depending on where I am so I had to coordinate cloud storage with my home system and the server in a way that I always know what is newest and what has been uploaded. I also changed the names of some of my files and thought I had taken the right steps to modify the files on the server but found I had to fix some broken links.

Here's a link to that table:

work table

I definitely feel like having a grasp on layout techniques will tie the skills together for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment